Tummy Tuck Results
MEN AND WOMEN IN MIAMI, FL CHOOSE DR. NATHAN FOR TUMMY TUCK (ABDOMINOPLASTY)
Does a busy career leave you with little time for the gym? Has your pregnancy pudge refused to budge? Do you carry a genetic predisposition for abdominal fat? A flat, toned abdomen looks youthful and fit, and makes clothes fit better. It gets harder, though, to maintain it as we get older. Board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Nirmal Nathan, suggests tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) to help his patients in the Miami, FL area feel good about their midsections.
MIAMI, FL SURGEON EXPLAINS TUMMY TUCK (ABDOMINOPLASTY)
Abdominoplasty is a surgical procedure that flattens the midsection through removal of excess fat and skin, and by tightening rectus abdominis muscles. Mini-tummy tuck surgery is somewhat less invasive, involving only removal of excess skin and fat below the navel, without muscle tightening. Both are considered major surgeries, with risks and recovery time normally associated with surgical procedures. However, benefits are dramatic.
Dr. Nathan in Miami, FL only operates in accredited surgery centers and hospitals, where tummy tuck is performed as an outpatient procedure. He utilizes the latest diagnostic, monitoring, and surgical technologies, and works with board-certified anesthesiologists. The atmosphere is comfortable and calming. Overnight and hotel arrangements can be made, should a longer stay be needed for any reason.
The tummy tuck procedure is generally straightforward, thanks to careful pre-planning that addresses your unique physiology and goals.
A full tummy tuck follows these basic steps:
– At the outset of the consultation appointment, the surgical support team gathers general health information. Then, during a personal, unhurried discussion, Dr. Nathan takes time to explain the procedure, including risks, recovery, and benefits. He answers your questions and uses visual aids to help you arrive at a realistic expectation for the outcome.
The administrative staff talks with you about financing options. Since this is considered a cosmetic procedure, insurance does not typically cover tummy tuck cost. However, if Dr. Nathan believes abdominoplasty is justified for medical reasons, we are happy to assist in obtaining an estimate of coverage from your insurer.
When you decide you are ready for a trimmer, toned midsection, your surgical date is scheduled, and you receive prep instructions.
– Dr. Nathan orders a medical evaluation and certain lab tests prior to your surgery. You receive instructions to stop taking some medications and supplements that could cause bleeding problems. He works with your physician, if necessary, to determine the safest course of action.
Smoking impairs your body’s ability to heal properly, so you must stop using tobacco for several weeks before and after a tummy tuck. The procedure involves sedation or general anesthetic, so please arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and spend at least the first night with you.
– You will be instructed what time to arrive on the day of your surgery, and what type of clothing to wear. After you have changed into a surgical gown and are settled comfortably, IV sedation or general anesthesia is started. After you are fully relaxed, the surgical area is thoroughly numbed.
– It is important to know that you will have a scar from abdominoplasty. However, with extensive background in cosmetic surgery, Dr. Nathan is known for a suturing technique that usually leaves a fine, smooth white line in time. The tummy tuck incision follows the crease of thighs and across the public mound, so it is hidden by undergarments and swimwear. The precise shape and length of your incision depends on the amount of excess skin to be removed. If a woman has an existing C-section scar, Dr. Nathan may be able to incorporate it into the tummy tuck incision.
An incision is also made around the navel to release it. Then abdominal skin is lifted and tailored to the patient.
– The weakened abdominal muscles tend to separate vertically, impacting posture and allowing the belly to distend. This separation is called a rectus diastasis. Dr. Nathan draws these “six-pack” muscles back together and supports this proper positioning with a column of sutures.
If fat reduction is desired, liposuction can also be performed at the abdomen, waistline, or flanks. This promotes a shapely hour-glass figure.
– Dr. Nathan re-drapes abdominal skin pulling it downward. Excess skin and attached subcutaneous fat extending below the incision line is excised. (If this skin is marred by stretch marks, they are removed.) The incision is closed with sutures. A new opening is created for the belly button, and it is stitched into place. Sutures are protecting with dressing.
– You will receive thorough instructions to aid in prompt, uneventful recovery, including pain control mediations and antibiotics. You are encouraged to ambulate (move around) the night of your surgery. You may shower after two days, and most people return to light duty work within seven to ten days. You must avoid swimming and heavy lifting for six weeks, though.
Dr. Nirmal Nathan is a skilled plastic surgeon in Miami, Florida. He received his medical degree through the Honors Program in Medicine at the University of Miami. Dr. Nathan is among the most sought after plastic surgeons in Miami due to his expansive knowledge, skill and method of treating patients. In his practice, The Nathan Clinic Plastic Surgery and Aesthetics, he provides the excellence that comes from experience.
Thin drain tubes are inserted under skin at either end of the incision to keep fluids from building up. They are removed in about a week at your follow-up appointment, and sutures come out shortly after that. Plan to wear a compression garment for a few weeks. It reduces swelling as you heal, protects sutures, and supports abdominal repairs.
– While improvement is immediate, you may not be able to see it right away since there is some swelling, and you probably won’t be comfortable standing fully erect for a week or two. When normal posture returns, you see noticeable change in your side profile and in the frontal abdominal contours. Your abdomen is firm and flat, contributing to balanced body proportions and the appearance of reduced weight overall.
While Dr. Nathan cannot halt the aging process, with an ongoing healthy lifestyle, improvement in abdominal tone and contour can be lifelong.
WHEN ABDOMINOPLASTY IS A GOOD CHOICE
TUMMY TUCK CAN BE APPROPRIATE FOR A MAN OR WOMAN WITH A LOOSE, PROTRUDING ABDOMEN AND SAGGING SKIN. THIS SITUATION MAY BE THE RESULT OF:
- Pregnancy (more pronounced with multiple pregnancies)
- Significant fluctuations in weight
- Prior abdominal surgery
The good tummy tuck candidate is reasonably fit and healthy, with stable weight. This individual understands that abdominoplasty is not a weight loss solution or a substitute for healthy eating and exercise, and that subsequent dramatic weight fluctuations will have a negative impact on results. A woman who is planning future pregnancies should postpone abdominoplasty until her family plans are fulfilled.
Your appearance, self-image, and well being deserve the care of a Board-certified plastic surgeon. Call (305) 530-8880 to talk with Dr. Nathan in Miami, FL about tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) options.
MIAMI SURGEON EXPLAINS THE MEDICAL BENEFITS OF TUMMY TUCK SURGERY
Pregnancy or extreme weight loss may result in an unwanted abdominal pouch. Although often considered a cosmetic procedure, there are medical benefits of a tummy tuck surgery. Located in Miami, Dr. Nirmal Nathan offers tummy tuck procedures to remove the sagging, stretched skin and excess fat that is causing the unwanted belly bulge.
TUMMY TUCK SURGERY
Also known as an abdominoplasty or tummy reduction, a tummy tuck involves the surgical removal of fat and skin from the abdominal area. Weak or separated muscles are also corrected to create a smooth, firm abdominal profile.
Many people desire a flat, toned abdomen. Unfortunately, even the best diet and exercise habits are not enough to achieve this goal. Patients who are at or near their ideal body weights may still have loose skin or a belly bulge. Common causes of an abdominal pouch may include:
- Prior surgery
- Significant weight change
Tummy tuck surgeries are often performed following weight loss or pregnancy. When an individual gains weight, the skin stretches to accommodate the body change. When the same person suddenly loses a significant amount of weight, the skin may not be elastic enough to return to its original form. The result is loose, sagging skin. An abdominoplasty removes the excess fat and skin. The skin is pulled tight and the muscles are repaired. Both men and women are eligible for this surgery.
MEDICAL BENEFITS OF A TUMMY TUCK SURGERY
Although a tummy tuck is often part of a mommy makeover or a cosmetic procedure, it is also beneficial for patients who have undergone extreme weight loss. Even as a cosmetic surgery, an abdominoplasty comes with several medical benefits for patients.
Improved abdominal tone
– After weight loss or multiple pregnancies, the abdominal muscles may be stretched out or swollen. Regular diet and exercise may not help. During a tummy tuck, the weakened muscles are tightened and excess fat is removed. The end result is a flat abdomen.
– When the abdominal muscles are weak, the posture suffers. Tightening the muscles through an abdominoplasty provides support for the spine and an improvement in posture. Patients who experienced back pain prior to surgery may experience relief after a tummy tuck.
Ventral hernia correction
– If the abdominal wall is weak, it is possible for a hernia to form. A ventral hernia develops when the intestine or abdominal tissue pushes through the abdominal wall. Surgery for a ventral hernia correction is similar to an abdominoplasty. The weakened muscles are corrected relieving pressure on the skin. Combining a hernia repair with an abdominoplasty is safe and helps prevent future hernias.
Reduction in stress urinary incontinence
– After childbirth, it is possible to develop stress urinary incontinence. Patients experience urine leakage when they cough, sneeze, exercise, or laugh. A tummy tuck can reduce the problem. Soft tissue near the pelvic area creates a slight bladder obstruction which reduces incontinence.
A tummy tuck brings cosmetic and medical benefits. However, it is not a replacement for a healthy diet and exercise but it can help you achieve the figure you desire. Schedule your consultation with Dr. Nathan in Miami. Call (305) 530-8880.
WHAT IS A TUMMY TUCK? PLASTIC SURGEON IN MIAMI, FL EXPLAINS
Genetics, pregnancy, and weight gain can all lead to storage of extra fat and loose skin in the abdominal area. If self-consciousness about your stomach is holding you back from wearing a swimsuit, walking into social or work situations with confidence, or simply feeling and looking your best, a tummy tuck may be a great option for you! Below, Dr. Nirmal Nathan, a board-certified plastic surgeon at The Nathan Clinic in Miami, FL, explains what a tummy tuck is, who is a good candidate, and what to expect.
WHAT IS A TUMMY TUCK?
A tummy tuck is a surgical procedure that helps patients feel more confident by reducing extra fat and skin in the abdominal area and tightening the rectus abdominis muscles. It is also called an “abdominoplasty.”
A less invasive procedure called a “mini tummy tuck” is also available that does not tighten the muscles but reduces extra fat and skin beneath the navel. With a mini tummy tuck, a shorter incision is necessary, so it has a shorter recovery time.
Dr. Nathan will discuss the two options with you in the context of your unique shape and goals to determine which tummy tuck procedure is best for you.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A TUMMY TUCK?
Tummy tucks can be a great choice for patients who have:
- Stretched skin and muscles in the abdominal area due to pregnancy
- Lost a significant amount of weight, resulting in extra skin in the abdominal area
- Pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise due to a genetic predisposition for storing abdominal fat or natural aging processes
Because tummy tucks are considered invasive surgeries and do carry risks, patients who are non-smokers and are in good physical condition are the best candidates for recovering well from the procedure. If you are planning to lose more weight or may become pregnant again, we recommend that you wait until you have reached a stable weight and are not planning to have any more children before undergoing the procedure so that your results are not diminished. It is important to have realistic expectations about the results and to understand that a tummy tuck is not designed to be a weight-loss tool, but rather a stomach flattening procedure.
HOW THE PROCEDURE WORKS
A tummy tuck is performed under general anesthesia for your comfort, so we will give you detailed instructions on how to prepare for the surgery. Once you are completely relaxed and numbed, Dr. Nathan will strategically create an incision along the crease of the thighs and pubic mound so that scarring is easily hidden, as well as around the navel. He will then carefully remove the extra skin, and if you are undergoing a full tummy tuck, tighten the underlying muscles. If you have suffered from a separation of muscles called rectus diastasis due to pregnancy or weakened muscles, Dr. Nathan will move your abs back together for a more natural “six-pack” appearance. At this point, extra fat can also be removed to promote a more shapely, thin figure. Dr. Nathan will then close and suture the abdominal area and protect it with sterile dressings. We provide you with thorough post-op instructions to aid in healing and recovery.
TUMMY TUCK RESULTS
Many patients see an immediate improvement in their abdominal area after surgery, but there will be some swelling that hides your true end results. After you have begun to heal and are able to stand with a fully upright posture, your stomach will be flatter, firmer, and more balanced in comparison to the rest of your body. Even if the amount of weight lost from the procedure is minimal, many patients feel like their whole body looks many pounds lighter!
While aging and genetics will continue to play a role in how your stomach appears in the years after your tummy tuck, an ongoing commitment to a healthy lifestyle can help you maintain your results for your lifetime.
SCHEDULE YOUR PERSONALIZED CONSULTATION
The first step in achieving your new slimmed abs is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Nathan. Our pre-planning process is designed to consider your unique body shape, medical history, and cosmetic goals to help you achieve the best results, as well as ensure that you are comfortable with the procedure and know what to expect before, during, and after your tummy tuck. We love to answer patients’ questions, so they are well-informed and confident about their treatment plan! If you are in the Miami area, call our Miami, FL office today at (305) 530-8880 to schedule your appointment!